Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day Five.

For the first time since my arrival, I am comfortable. I woke at a normal hour, had my first hot shower, ate a bacon cheese burger, bought another mattress and blanket as well as a metal bowl, mug, and utensils. My stomach is full, my area finally has some personality; I have laundry in the dryer and I just watched the first episode of the new season of Survivor...yes, today has been a wonderful day. The best part? It isn't over yet. It has taken five days to settle in, but at last, I feel like everything is going to be okay. Yes, there have been times I wanted to come home--by no means is this easy. I've lost weight. I don't sleep well. I'm lonely. Why stay? Taiwan has given me a chance, and I must return the favor. I have my first class tomorrow where I have no doubt I'll make friends. Tonight I sleep on an extra mattress with a thick blanket to keep me warm. I found a restaurant nearby to satisfy my American cravings every now and then. Things can only get better from here. Oh, Taiwan, Taiwan, take me in.

As much as I accept Taiwan for what it is, its people will continue to stare at me. Everywhere I go, there are eyes on me. I don't have to speak fluent Mandarin to understand them. Foreigner. Why are you here? As response, I simply bow my head to each of them in turn. I am here to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment