Monday, February 14, 2011

Day Two.

The world is full of opposites, counterparts; it is a bittersweet symphony of happy, sad, good, and bad. Today was a day of good and bad. Orientation went well, I met my buddy, Amy, and explored a little. I used the remnants of my cash supply to get ID photos for the dorm and visa reapplication...to find that I cannot withdraw funds from the ATM with my AAA Travel Card. So here I sit, waiting for 10 PM so I can call BB&T via Skype and inquire about fees regarding ATM withdrawals in foreign countries and tell them not to do backflips if I withdrawal 200 USD on the other side of the world from where I am supposed to be. I really wish Taiwan came with a manual.

On a lighter note, orientation was wonderful. I met Ivy Lin, the lady I conversed with for many months up to my arrival here. She is such a nice person! Best of all, afterwards Amy took Vy and I exploring to Ji He campus. We happened upon the remnants of the Lantern Festival and many celebrating Taiwanese people--fireworks, loud music, incense, and red lanterns everywhere made for many beautiful photographs.

Not much has changed since yesterday. It is still cold, I don't sleep well, and an icy shower greeted me once again at 9AM. I guess the only difference today is that I have hope. The weather will eventually warm up, I'll adjust to the time difference, and learn to shower at night when the water is supposed to be hot. I will adjust and life will go on. So it goes.

Tomorrow I have to go to the hospital for the mandatory chest x-ray at 12:45PM. I wonder what wonders Taiwan will have for me after?

No comments:

Post a Comment