Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day Four.

Today, on my way to the grocery store (to purchase laundry detergent and chopsticks as promised), I passed the temple where I was lucky enough to capture some final lantern and New Year's festival celebrations on Monday. Today, it was quiet and empty, the courtyard occupied only by this lady sprinkling something out of a red envelope into an urn where incense burned peacefully. I managed to capture two good photos out of three before retreating back onto the street.

I managed to make it to the grocery store on Ji He Campus without mishap. Along the way, I stopped to
purchase some fruit from an elderly lady on the street. Her selection was quite impressive and beautifully arranged and her smile was welcoming. I decided to give it a shot.

你好!我想买一些果汁。Hello! I'd like to buy some fruit.
好!Wonderful!
(Pointing at some Asian pears) 两个。(pointing to some rose apples) 两个。一共多少钱?two of these and two of these. How much will that be altogether?
等一下。wait one moment. (as she was weighing the fruit) 你是哪国人?Where are you from?
我是美国人。I am American.
好啊!你很漂亮!Good..You are very beautiful!
阿谢谢!谢谢!aw! Thank you, thank you!

And as she was smiling her kind, old lady smile, she weighed only one pear, but put it in the bag. "This one free. 一百九十七块" one hundred ninety seven dollars. I gave her two hundred and left, smiling at my good fortune. I have a feeling I will be seeing much more of this kind old lady.

So, laundry detergent and metal chopsticks acquired, along with more ramen, a box of jasmine green tea bags, cranberry juice, and some things I thought were lychee fruits. I have yet to figure out what they really are...but I know what they are NOT. A good loot, combined with my two Asian pears and two rose apples. I still need to purchase another blanket. Hopefully I can find someone to go with me to Shi Lin Night Market tonight where I can purchase one for a ridiculously small amount and then sleep happily, otherwise I will see if Amy can take me to the supermarket this Saturday before we go to the flora exposition. I have a feeling I will be purchasing a second mattress to go on top of this one; I can't sleep on concrete for another four months.

It's only 4 PM. What other mischief can I get into today? Sleep peacefully, America--I won't wander too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment