Monday, February 21, 2011

Day Nine.

I made another run to the grocery store today and brought home a few gems. Frosties, doritos and instant potato soup pouches were among my great finds, along with more instant oatmeal. I missed the day market and my chance to get more fruit since I bummed around the room all morning. I stayed up far too late watching the girls play Mah Jong last night and slept in. The trip to Ji He was still very eventful. I stopped at What's Burger (my favorite nice sit down American style resturaunt) on my way back to have an early dinner; the thought of a nice chicken ceasar salad made my stomach rumble after not having any proper vegetables in over a week. Apparently my Aryan appearance was too much for my poor waitress to bear combines with my speaking Chinese to her--all she could do was stare at me with big manga eyes and shake her head to show she didn't understand. I resorted to pointing and grunting like a Neanderthal. No luck. The poor girl was a lost cause. Luckily for me, the lady that served me a few days prior was behind the register. I had to beckon her over and tell her what I wanted, exactly as I had to the young girl. This time I got a smile and a mei wen ti. No problem. If I'm unfortunate enough to get that shell shocked girl next time, I'll have to start wearing a full burka in there so she'll listen to what I'm saying instead of staring at me. It just struck me now that I didn't even bother trying to ask her something in English...she probably would have ran away screaming like I was Big Foot or something.

At last, I have my student ID card and have registered for classes. I'm only taking two since the Intensive program transfers back as nine hours. I have half a mind to take two more and get ahead, but I don't think it's worth stressing myself out over. With the program and two classes, I am at 15 hours--a full semester at WVU. For once I think I am going to just relax and take it easy as I can. I'm only going to be in Taiwan for four more months. I want to explore!

I must apologize for my lack of photographs on these last two blogs. I have not gone anywhere worth photographing since my outing on Saturday and I've already photographed my route to the grocery store so thoroughly I could aid Google Maps in their street view. Still yet, I am taking my camera tonight to the night market. I need rain boots. Here's to hoping I can find a pair quickly and get back here to rest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment